With April as the Philippine Food Month, Flavors of the Philippines showcases once again the best of NCR, Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao culinary fare. It is done through various activities such as cook-offs, food bazaars, food tasting, and market tours. Thus, the country is in for a delightful gastronomic road trip.
Just a brief background on Flavors of the Philippines. It is organized by the Tourism Promotions Board (TPB) of the Department of Tourism (DOT) which is now in its third year of promoting different food and local cuisines from the different regions through activities held simultaneously across the country,
The festival was kicked off last March 11 by the “Paella Gigante.” Chefs from Les Toques Blanches (LTB) Philippines cooked an 11-foot diameter paella, completos recados with chorizo, chicken, and seafood cooked the traditional way over charcoal and firewood. It was recently held at Greenbelt 3 Park, Makati City.
The fund-raising proceeds are earmarked for the benefit of Sociedad Española de Beneficencia (SEB).
Other Gastro Events in line with Flavors of the Philippines
National Capital Region (NCR)
- “Smokey Tour” will walk visitors through the market area of Old Manila with merchandise ranging from medicinal herbs, birds, and clothing to digital gadgets, open every day except Wednesdays.
- “Glimpse of Filipino Culture” is a cultural exhibit in Art Gallery Sining Kamalig in Quezon City.
- “Sabado Mercado” is where the city of San Juan offers the best of their home-cooked meals which are a fusion of Oriental and Western cuisines.
- “All Natural Health Fair” and “Vegan Fair” are where the Lucky Chinatown offers delicious and healthy food prepared the natural way.
- “Cheese and Deli Festival” is a special fair of special local and imported cheese and prepared meats such as sausages, hams, and salamis.
- CALABARZON will parade the “Pamana ng Quezon Kulinarya,” featuring the heirloom recipes of Quezon passed on from generation to generation. Plus, there is a photo and recipe exhibit of historian Mr. Ige Ramos called “Cavite:Culinary Destination.”
- Zamboanga Peninsula will once again have their “Savores” (chavacano term for ‘flavors’) comprised of two activities namely “Savores Expo,” featuring the cooking skills of the local chefs, and “Savores Dine,” highlighting the different specialties of Zamboanga.
Above are some of the activities lined up for this month. For full event schedule click here.
Madrid Fusión Manila 2017
Of course, you also shouldn’t also miss Madrid Fusion Manila, the first and only Asian edition of Madrid Fusión.
Madrid Fusión is the most important gastronomy event in the world, celebrated annually in Madrid, Spain since 2003.
MFM features the following components:
- Madrid Fusión Manila International Gastronomy Congress
- Fusión Manila International Gastronomy Expo
- Flavors of the Philippines
MFM 2017 will be held on April 6-8, 2017 at the SMX Convention Center, SM Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City, Philippines.
Don’t miss the chance to take part in the biggest international gathering of some of the most distinguished and revered names in the world of gastronomy.